Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Oprah opens new school in South Africa BUT....


While I applaud her efforts to help to 'educate those who wish to educated' ((her words and a allusion to 'inner city' children who would rather have ipods or sneakers)) I wonder if she knows or even cares about why 'inner city kids' want those things INSTEAD of an 'education'?
Maybe it's because of MEDIA'S and this cultures FOCUS on material things like ipods and sneakers, not to mention shows like PIMP MY RIDE, CRIBS, 106 AND PARK videos, Who wants to be a millionaire and many others...Maybe she do a show or serious of shows for both young and older people about materialism in this country, not to mention how this social, political and cultural system re-inforces these things? OK OK let me chill ....i KNOW im askin for u too much now ..lol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S a good idea. I am not an Oprah show watcher even though I grew up with Oprah on the TV. Even though, she throws in her black people to fill the quota, as far as I'm concerned, she has always done much more for the nonblacks who write in to and frequent her show. True, I can understand and agree with her sentiments of inner city youth not valuing the education that she has now offered to the children in Africa and I know, even though, she doesn't visit the areas anymore, she continues to give to those areas but ... you are absolutely right. She is one of the most influential black women, if not The Most and I'm sure there will be no other after her ... she should be the one trying to take those steps to help us remove our youth from this conditioned state they are in. Truly it is the parents' then the communities' jobs to guide our children but extra help is always nice.